> We are on V4R1 (going to V4R5 this weekend or next - working the schedule
out...) and QAUTOVRT is set to 1 (?)...

At some point your qautovrt must have been more than 1. It is the number of
virtual devices to create, not an on/off switch.
Many security folks recommend you figure how many you need, create them or
let them autocreate, then set the size back to 1 so no more are created.
When a user is signing off, the virtual is not deleted, goes vary on pending
(i think). Then when a user signs on, not using "named devices", the system
finds a virtual device of the same device type requested, that is not in
use. So I'm guessing (can't see your box) that what you see as auto create
is really vary on & use, because they already exist. On one box I have 80
created, some in use, some varied off since last ipl, some vary on pending.
Not all are the same device type & model. If you sign on with a device
type/model & do not have an available virtual to match, in vary on pending
or even varied off, you get the error.
btw - on new machines, QAUTOVRT is set to zero by default, and this will
stop someone from getting the sign on screen.
hth
jim franz