Rob,

>* the platform/language environment currently persists only because of a
large
>    body of existing legacy code.
>   * the role of RPG programmers is widely being reduced to that of system
>     maintenance
>   * new development tends to be client/server
>   * Unix and Windows are the environments of choice for new development.
>   * After 14 years, they are phasing out their AS/400, apparently because
they do
>     not like "the function key interface"  (I demonstrated my product
over the
>     Internet using a browser but they seem to have missed this!)

I guess everyone can have their reasons but:

* what system doesn't persist because of it's large body of existing code?
* we use both RPG, COBOL, Domino, and JAVA all on the same
platform....which one do you think that is?
* we are generating new systems with both RPG, COBOL, Domino, and JAVA.  It
depends on the application.  Are the programmers who support the COBOL/RPG
(I jokingly refer to them as Jurassic coders) doing more and more
maintenance type of programming?  Yes.  However, it is not something that
will transpire overnight....
* new development does tend (emphasis on tend) to be server/client.  I
personally think that client/server is in of itself legacy code.  We use
the term server/client around here quite a bit.
* With 'modern' languages like Domino and JAVA the AS/400 looks and acts
like any other type of system.  Of course I think it is also bigger,
badder, better, and faster. :-)
* After 14 years with our AS/400's we are increasing the code base with
both 'modern' programming as well as legacy programming......

>So which of you still uses RPG for new development?  Do you all use
client/server or
>do you think that it is a technology that is difficult to implement and
which for
>many installations has reached its "sell by" date.

As I mentioned before, we use both RPG and COBOL for new development.  As
well as other 'modern' languages.  I have my opinions about server/client
programming.  As with anything this is an opinion.  Server/client
programming has it's good points and it's bad points.  I think they are
visually very robust.  I think the tool sets are pretty sophisticated.  But
I do think they are more difficult to implement and support.  I think
anyone can find an exception to any product, solution, and technology.  But
you have to look at the overall picture and what the demands are for.
Overall, I think our new server/client applications are a good thing.  I
can live with the negatives.  Especially, if it gives our customers the
look and feel that they think they need.  I hate to get caught up in the
GUI vs. Green Screen debate.......

>Any other points that I might not have thought of to counter their views?

I think the biggest problem is that it is their view.  It's not wrong.  I'd
happen to think of it as very lemming like and narrow minded but then that
is my view.  I don't know how your product acts over the Internet so I
can't comment directly on that.  I think it is relatively foolish to throw
away any investment in code.  Especially, when there are so many options to
enhance and redeploy.  There are a good number of existing AS/400 customers
who are using their platform for new server/client programming.  You can
code new applications from the ground up.  And you can reface/redesign your
existing applications also (Webfacing, Jacada, Seagull, Lansa, etc.).
There are a ton of affordable alternatives to completely replacing and
eliminating systems...

Sorry for so many opinions.

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers