From: "Marshall Akins" <makins@hannasteel.com>
To: <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 9:35 AM
Subject: RE: Midrange Computing Closed

> Interesting point about only paying w/cash.    I know I shouldn't ask this
> but why should a company pay for my health insurance?   Wouldn't it be
> better if it was my own business.   I could choose among competing
> providers, I could buy what I needed, the company would not have
> confidential medical information.   Same for 401K's.   How about just
> making a contribution to my IRA account.    No admin headaches for the
> company and it would give me much more choice as to who I want to
> administer the account.

Okay, the reason is that people don't. People do not invest in their future,
they do not save for retirement, and they do not buy insurance. Sure, those
are big generalizations, and they are not aimed at people who may be doing
very well.

Very few people who are given the responsibility for planning their future,
do. Which leads to the next question of whether or not you leave these
people without health care and starving in their old age. Which leads to the
next question of whether or not this is a burden to be picked up by the fed
(with SS and medicare) or the private sector (through employer benefits) or
a mixture of both.

There is no sense really even trying to get into all the social issues here.

> Marshall Akins
> Rabid Libertarian Capitalist stirring up %^&@

Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net
If you believe that the best technology wins the
marketplace, you haven't been paying attention.