  • Subject: Re: Overlays on a Report
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:33:58 EDT

> This report will be printed from several locations,
> so we want to use an overlay on the report.

Since I have zero experience with overlays, I have no idea what relevance
they have to printing a report on one printer from several locations.  It has
been standard practice whereever I have worked in my career, starting in the
1960's, as soon as on-line distributed computing was delivered (multiple
users one computer), to have a greater number of work station users than
printers.  In today's world as I know it, delivering reports to whatever
printer desired from whatever user location or JOBQ, is managed via spool
files.

The user work station session address, or the user profile, or the
application *JOBD sets up a default printer that all of that person's work is
going to go to.  We use work station defaults because we have mobile users
who might sign on at different offices & we want them to get their reports
from the main printer at the site they are currently working out of.

There are a handful of reports that we want to go to a specific printer
irrespective of which user at which work station actually generated them.
Examples of this are

customer order acknowlegements - various different individuals throughout the
enterprise might make changes to a customer order, but we want the main
customer service department to validate officialness & correct any
misconceptions

shipping paperwork ... several people mght be working on final packaging
different places on shop floor, but we want the output to the printer in the
shipping office.

In the latter case we have a couple of facilities, so the CL is doing a
little checking to determine if the processing is in which one, then the
OVRPRTF sends the report to the relevant printer for that facility.

In actual point of fact, sometimes one facility or another can get really
backed up with the paperwork they have to do & they can get personnel at the
other facility to help them out, so we have an early prompt screen ... which
facility are you doing this for ... which really simplifies what the CL needs
to do.

On the command line key OVRPRTF then F4 then go exploring the various
parameters with cursor on a line & F4 then F1.
It will say you cannot use this here, meaning command line ... this is used
immediately prior to CL calling RPG to redirect where the report is to be
sent.
Once on spool file, if you put it on hold, end users can move it some place
else.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838