  • Subject: Re: MIDRANGE-L Digest V4 #680
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 13:43:14 -0400

 >> Personally, I would like to see Rochester do a leveraged buyout and get
out from big blues covers.

 <rantmode>

I'm far from convinced that that would make any real difference.  There is
also the teeny tiny problem that Rochester don't own RPG, COBOL, etc.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Rochester don't particulalry
want RPG and COBOL users, and that this has played a major role in shops
not moving forward.  VisualAge for RPG went ahead with the active
noncooperation of many in Rochester, so did RPG IV, so did ILE COBOL.
About the only thing I've seen that has garnered any real support is the
WebFacing effort.

Most customers who are stuck on RPG III tell me that they would more if
their software vendor moved.  The only thing IBM has really done to try and
move the vendors is to persuade them to move to SmallTalk - then C++ - then
Java.  The latter two were real smart because it opened the door for them
to move off the platform!  In many cases the vendor's found they could not
afford the price tag, and in the absence of any encouragement to the
contrary have continued on with RPG III!

JDE has switched a few programs to RPG IV - but only because the d***
things were too big to compile under RPG III.  They have announced that
they will continue support through 2005 (I think) but _still_ have no plans
to move forward.  I have also met many users who tell me that if support
does not continue beyond that date they will switch to another (non JDE)
package because One-World just won't work for them.  You don't think that a
little persuasion from Rochester could have moved them along some?  They
give them enough free bodies and consulting services.

Most of us who have participated in RPG IV conversion know that for the
most part it is not a big deal, but the BPs get away with it and IBM sits
and smiles.  Many other BPs are still selling barely warmed over RPG II -
left-side indicators and all.

There are some signs that PartnerWorld are at long last encouraging BPs to
start to move to RPG I but it is too little too late - four/five years ago
would have been more appropriate.

</rantmode>

Jon Paris
Jon.Paris@e400.com