  • Subject: RE: iSeries - first impression
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 13:22:55 -0500

John Carr wrote: I would suggest demo-ing the iSeries that way and make that
analogy   of GUI to Command line  like  Win -> DOS   is like  Ops Nav ->
5250.   Never let the new client see the 5250.
--------

I agree, John.  I think this is exactly the strategy we can take.  Not only
that, I think we can push it even farther, by putting a graphical face on
some of the most popular types of applications, and then showing off new
ones.

For example, you should be able to show a graphical version of an ERP
application and an insurance application and a banking application, while
the voiceover talks about how there are more mission-critical business
applications written for the iSeries than any other platform.  I don't care
if you use a vendor's GUI like e-BPCS or Host-On-Demand or JWalk or a
strategy like mine, it's not important - what's important is to show that
the whole broad base of existing iSeries programs can be run graphically.

Then, you segue to a view of programs that are specifically designed from
the ground up to be GUI.  Show a Domino application, and a Net.Data
storefront, and a servlet/JSP browser-based application.  Show the wonderful
tools like OpsNav and WebSphere Studio (and maybe even the adminclient, just
don't show it in action <grin>).

The only thing missing today is a good application design strategy, but to
be honest, that's missing on all platforms.  If we can somehow use the tools
we have to show a decent rapid application design technique, then I think
the iSeries has a story to tell that's pretty potent: tons of existing
software, with a path to the future and thus to tons of new software.

Joe