  • Subject: RE: A DoS Must Read from Steve Gibson...
  • From: Chris Bipes <chris.bipes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:34:45 -0700

Gee I use the RAW socket function from my AS400 to various protocol
converters thus handling the POS communication in my program.  TCP works in
packets but some of the converters run on the byte stream, thus raw TCP is
necessary.  The AS400 provides this function.  One can write a powerful DoS
attach program from their AS400.  I know because I had a bug that DoSed our
network.  Oops!  By the way, this is not an enhanced socket, but Micro$oft
is now giving you access to the lower level of their TCP/IP stack.  Just
wait for raw IP,  I failed my attempt and decided raw TCP would be easier
and better for the application.  It is really part of the BSD standards that
Micro$oft has never adhered to.

Christopher K. Bipes      mailto:ChrisB@Cross-Check.com
Operations & Network Mgr  mailto:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com
CrossCheck, Inc.                  http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive     Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928    Fax: 707 586-1884