  • Subject: Re: Advanced 36 & POP
  • From: Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:41:43 -0400

Al,

I don't think IBM would even care if you gave the manuals to Microsoft !
;-)

...Neil

MacWheel99@aol.com
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
2001/06/20 00:00
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L

        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
        cc:

From Al Macintyre

We have several SSP manuals overdue to be thrown out, because we moving to

OS/400 that does not support M/36.  It is quite possible that in IBM move
on-line "documentation" these old dead tree reference works are no longer
available.

I am tempted to invite you or someone to at least pay shipping for you to
get
them instead of garbage or paper recycling.  However this raises an
ETHICAL
question in which it might be helpful to seek an opinion from IBM ... does
site that was a customer of one version of 36 SSP have the right to pass
on
IBM documentation to a site that is now a customer of another version of
36
SSP?

A couple of precedents.
When we have hand me down of an old IBM box we obligated to delete the OS
as
our last act, since it is licensed to the customer not to the box.

We have one of the old BPCS posters that diagrams interrelationships
between
files - a discussion on BPCS_L had someone offer to copy this to web site
&
upgrade it to include files added since SSA created the poster.  I asked
my
boss if it was Ok for me to lend our poster to that effort.  He said it
was
Ok with him if it was Ok with SSA.  It was not Ok with SSA.

These manuals are not crib sheets but door stop manuals.
Our current collection of manuals dating back to before the AS/400
occupies
approx 5 feet (60 inches) of shelves ... I expect to end up keeping
perhaps
25%
i.e. stuff that's both S/36 & OS/400 relevant, after I go through it.

Not all the manuals would be of interest to you.
There was a time that I was very interested in S/36 communications
capabilities, so I have an excess on that topic for example.

I threw out over 10 years worth of S/36 magazines a few months ago,
although
there still may be a few turn up at home, since I'm perpetually taking
home
work from office.

We were running our company exclusively on S/36 until the middle of 1998.

> From: kkostuck@execpc.com (Kathleen Kostuck)
>
>  Help!
>
>  I've just had an AS/400 Advanced System 36 thrown at me. (Ouch!)
>  I converted my share of S36 machines to AS/400s awhile back, and I've
>  worked on migrated S36 code in the 36 Environment, but this machine
only
>  has POP. I've never used POP.
>
>  How do I:
>
>  1. Edit RPG source?
>  2. Compile RPG source?
>
>  Also, does anyone have a crib sheet of S36 commands handy?
>
>  TIA,
>  Kathleen Kostuck
>  kkostuck@execpc.com
>  (414) 828-6796

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax

interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838