  • Subject: Re: Advanced 36 & POP
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:26:56 EDT

> How do I:
>
>  1. Edit RPG source?
>  2. Compile RPG source?

While OS/400 libraries have data files & source files
S/36 libaries have source period ... data files are stored OUTSIDE of all
libraries
Pop Menu/1 tells you what libraries on your S/36
Pop Menu/3 select a library
it gives you directory of software in there
F5 & you get options to focus selection on your interests such as
S = RPG source
P = OCL source
when you see program you interested in editing, put E in front of it & press
enter
Remember that OCL is INTERPRETIVE - you do not compile it like you compile CL
& if you have a GOTO, it processes all the lines in between until it gets to
the TAG target of the GOTO so from a productivity perspective you really do
need to use nesting, where OCL calls another OCL program based on conditions,
which is how I used to get around the GOTO lag

Even without POP, you can also edit RPG/36 or other software for that matter
via SEU ... on S/36 command line key SEU then press HELP key

If you are altering screen programs & menus, the fore-runner to DDS which
also is going to be quite alien for an OS/400 person, there should be SDA on
your AS/36 but I do not reccommend trying to mess with that without first
getting an SDA manual, and I have one about to be thrown out for the S/36
since I have the one for OS/400

COMPILE

There was a command to do this, spelled something like COMPILE or perhaps RPG
- I do not remember because I never used it.  I had my own variants setup
with the parameters filled in for various scenarios ... easy to do when you
know OCL