  • Subject: Re: NT vs AS/400
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:32:02 -0400

John - we are not that far apart...
In the pricing model, like any other manufacturer, you look at investment to
design & build, versus expected sales and calc a price. I expect to pay more
for a niche product like the iSeries versus the pSeries. Not looking at the
drive alone but the controllers and microcode to make it work. I am SOOOO
happy to see the high quality iSeries hardware becoming the standard for the
future Universal box (hate the idea but recognize reality.) Besides, IBM has
always gouged the big customers, look at the big iSeries prices! If they
didn't, there never would be a low end product. Kind of like our US tax
system. There is still good value to the customer. I absolutely do not
beleive hardware is a commodity, and do not beleive IBM is headed there. The
only way IBM will keep iSeries customers is to make it a player in this
e-biz world, hence all the new features (some very late).
Your absolutely right about the interactive "feature". Many of us screamed
at them about this and the twinax restrictions (multiple port controllers
only supporting total 7 devices (V4R1 S10).
Bob Tipton's been a great voice, but not the only one.
jim