True. But there is value. After paying the fee for hardware, then the fee
for OS/400 and keyed pgms, then the fee for hardware support, then the fee
for Support Line, one thing I can say is I DO get support. When I have a
problem, be it hardware or software, or even a how-to question, I KNOW I've
got a number to call, and that they WILL help me. And by help, I don't mean
search the "knowledgebase", then try reinstalling the OS and all the
applications from scratch and see if it happens again, then if it does, try
swapping out some hardware. Usually with IBM, in a short time, I've got
somebody on the phone or in the computer room, and they WILL help me
understand and resolve the problem.

Same thing for development. For a few more bucks and a few more contracts,
we get excellent support from PartnerWorld for Developers. These guys will
help you with your code, advise you how to do things, let you test on their
machines, and cut you a deal on your hardware and software.

I used to do POS work for a retail chain with about 1000 stores. When we
needed to update the hardware, we would split the job into 3 or 4 weeks. At
the designated time, 250 IBM CEs show up at 250 stores with the appropriate
parts and instructions and complete the upgrades. Then we do the same thing
the next 3 weeks. What other company can provide this level of service?
Maybe HP. Certainly not M$ - they don't even do hardware, unless you count
the mouse, that bent keyboard, and their new video game, which they probably
don't even manufacture themselves.

Speaking of manufacturing, who builds computers? Who has labs where they do
actual research and create new things, work with the latest semiconductors
and ways of representing, storing, and moving data? IBM does. How does this
add value? Because with IBM you can get to somebody that knows the answer,
no matter how deep the answer is. Granted, it's unlikely that my problem
with a CL will result in me talking to some scientist in a lab, but it's
nice to know that Frank Soltis does.

As much as I hate dealing with IBM bureaucracy, I am amazed at how organized
they are, given the number of products and services they have, the number of
customers, in every country, and the number of years they have been in
operation. And for a few more bucks, I can get on IBMLink and search the
collective problem database of all that stuff. Now that's a knowledgebase.

That's what I get for money spent on IBM and AS/400.

How much is this worth in terms of your business, your service to your
customers, and your employee productivity? It's worth a lot, and it costs a
lot. We are not a large IBM customer, so it's not the millions we're (not)
spending on hardware that gets us excellent support. It's the thousands
we're spending on all those annoying little contracts. Presumably that money
and those ridiculous $4000 disk drive prices goes to support that huge,
cumbersome organization which provides me with excellent support.

Is this kind of support available in the M$ world at any cost? From
observing both our NT developers and tech support people in action, I don't
get the impression that it is. Is it even possible, given that the hardware
and software are all coming from a variety of vendors who all naturally
believe their part works, and point the finger at the next guy?

-Marty

p.s. Sorry that was so long - I got on a roll there. Too many little blue
pills in my java this morning.