Dave, Tony, & Neil,

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm stuck mentally (watch those snide remarks!) when I look at the
Maxell HS-8/160 data cartridge sitting in front of me and right under the
"HELICAL-SCAN 8mm DATA CARTRIDGE" reads the following:

   160M/525FT. NOMINAL CAPACITY: 3.5/7.0 GIGABYTES

Does this mean that the nominal (uncompressed) capacity is *either* 3.5GB *or*
7.0GB, depending on the tape drive?  And that, for all 8mm tape drives that
can be used on an AS/400, they always format at 7GB and never at 3.5GB?

And, whatever *FMTnGB is used to initialize, is it interpreted as nominal /
uncompressed?

Interesting note in the iSeries handbook you pointed me to, Neil.  If you look
on book page 324 (or PDF page 354), you'll see the 6390 at the bottom of the
page.  It shows a maximum compressed capacity of 100 GB or 50GB, depending on
the format.  Probably a typo since it's the same data for the 50GB QIC shown
just prior.

Anyway, I did see the reference later in the handbook (Referenced Lists,
Removeable Media Devices) that shows that the maximum compressed capacity for
the 6390 is 14GB.

So having answered that question, I have another:  Does anyone use
DTACPR(*YES) and COMPACT(*DEV) together?  In my past experience, I have relied
on going with the defaults in which software DaTA ComPRession is not used when
the hardware COMPACTion is available.

- Dan
Dan Bale says "BAN DALE!"
IT - AS/400