  • Subject: Re: How are CPU Speed and Overall CPW Related?
  • From: "Nathan M. Andelin" <nathanma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:05:31 -0600

Let me give you some background, James.  I've been writing a lot RPG code
this past year - building a Web development framework.  And researching
whether a Web framework is a suitable alternative to 5250.

To help me optimize my RPG code, I'll sometimes write an equivalent in
Foxpro or Delphi and compare the difference.  It has puzzled me that my
$1,600 Laptop consistently out performs my $16,000 AS/400 - sometimes by a
factor of 10.  It further confused me after I learned that the AS/400 had a
200 Mhz processor - which I consider fast.  I wondered whether something was
constraining the AS/400 processor.  I have now learned that IBM has some
means of governing the CPU so that I can only get at about 20% of it's
capacity.  PC manufacturers don't do that.  The puzzle is solved.

Your explanation of the I/O support provided to 5250 applications may lead
someone to conclude that the AS/400 is not built to handle Web applications.
Perhaps, that's partly right.  I believe OS/400 is ideal for the Web.  But a
constrained CPU is not.  Web applications require lots of CPU because they
involve the handling of lengthy streams.  Apparently IBM is beginning to
realize that - the capacity of their new servers is a step in the right
direction.

Nathan.