  • Subject: Re: Remote Management
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 16:53:54 -0500

Dan,

We always load, apply and IPL the cum cd.  Then we load/apply all group ptf
cd's and then ipl again.  YEARS ago we tried the cum, all groups and a few
others and we blew something called a link loader and had to reinstall lic.
Well, actually we sold off that division, including the personnel who
thought it would be okay to not ipl after the cum.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    D.BALE@handleman.co

                    m                          To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    owner-midrange-l@mi        Subject:     Re: Remote
Management
                    drange.com

                    05/01/01 10:38 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Well, I don't know how remote *your* "remote" is <g>, but I'm dealing with
5
remote AS/400s, the closest of which is 300+ miles away, two of which are
on
this continent outside of the U.S., and one in England.  It is not
realistic
for me *not* to consider remote management.  I just have to research this
one
diligently and rely on the experience that the good people on this list
bring
to the table.  I think I will have the financial backing to do this right.

Here's what I *think* I need remote management for:  restricted state
system
backups (SAVE 21), cume PTF load/apply, other system maintenance functions
requiring restricted state.  I do NOT plan on doing release upgrades
remotely;
in my mind that's just too big a risk for failure.

Yes, anything in "multitples" brings a whole 'nuther aspect to remote
management.  I'd have to have someone on site whose only responsibility
would
be to change CD's.  QUESTION: Can I ask IBM to provide the cume PTF package
on
3590 cartridges?  Hopefully, it would all fit on one 10GB cartridge, but
even
if it didn't, I've got a 10-slot magazine in one of my branches.

It's been several years since I've done cume PTF's; can the loading of all
the
CD's be done while the system is still in use?  The idea behind that is to
have someone local start loading the CD's so that everything's loaded
before
they leave for the day.  After the branch ceases operations for the day, do
the backups, and apply the cume.  Is that possible?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952