  • Subject: RE: No 5250-based applications
  • From: "John Taylor" <john.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:05:35 -0600

Yup, it's my opinion, and it's based on some experience. All users aren't
idiots, but many are. I have one guy who's terminal & profile need to be
reset every couple of weeks because he keeps messing up his password. He's
been with the company, using the same terminal and application, for five
years.

> > If the tube goes, it goes... not much you can do about it. But
> I've never
> > had to worry about my screens going out of sequence in a 5250 or
> > client/server app.
>
> But it can happen!  And you don't code for it!  Horrors!

I don't code for it because it's extremely rare. The same can hardly be said
for hitting a back button.

> A book falling on the keyboard will NOT give you Alt-leftarrow.  It takes
> some serious effort to press the Alt key AND hit the back arrow.
> This is a
> RED HERRING for people who insist the browser won't work.
>
> Of course, that's my opinion.

I'm not one of those people who insist the browser won't work. I'm one of
those people who's scratching my head, trying to figure out if the
advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

> > The question is... can we?
>
> Yeah.  Log them out of the application.  Or, perhaps just as
> good, return to
> the same screen they tried to back out of.  These are prefectly acceptable
> alternatives, and neither involves enabling the Back button.  If you don't
> have a back button on your green screen, you don't need it in your browser
> application, unless it makes sense.

But all of my applications have an F12=Previous. It's easy to provide with a
stateful connection. From what I've read, and I certainly could be wrong
(I'm no HTML expert),  the only way to emulate this would be to turn off
caching at the browser. That has disadvantages of it's own.

If you know of a better way, please share it, or provide a URL where I can
get a headstart on doing my own homework.

John Taylor
Canada