Abstract: Trying to connect to AS/400 DB/2 without logging into our NT Server
for Data Transfer using SQL Data Transfer Services (DTS).

This is posted by MacWheel99@aol.com (Al Macintyre) on behalf of a co-worker
… I offered to leave his e-mail address off & forward any suggestions to him
but he said Ok to share lexicon@cen-elec.com (Jason Waller) … since our ISP
is down, there will be a delay in him seeing anything.

Jason manages our Win NT Server running SQL 7 Service Pack 3 & I manage BPCS
405 on our AS/400 model 170 currently at V4R3 soon to become V4R5.  From the
400 perspective the NT is an external ethernet.  We specialize in different
areas & much of what I am repeating here is foreign to me.  Jason has been
able to use SQL's DTS service to connect and retrieve needed tables from the
AS/400, but in order to automate this task he thinks he will have to do one
of two things:

1.  Make sure that a Global User Account is signed on the NT box and that
Client Access is linking to password on the NT User and Password.  This is
not desirable because it means that someone will have to be logged into the
server and that is not always possible.

2.  Configure ODBC for the AS/400 as a service.  Jason has attempted to
follow the instructions listed at
www.midrangecomputing.com/mne/article.cfm?id=188 but has had no luck in
seeing any type of service appear under the Services on the NT box.  This
trick involves using a utility called CWBCFG located in the client access
directory.

Jason asks if anyone has any suggestions on how to use the OBDC driver for
Client Access to AS/400 without having to create a link between the Client
Access account and the NT Server Operator Account and having to physically
log into the NT box in order to ensure that DTS operations can access the
AS/400 data bases?

I do not know what all he wants to use this for, but I have seen where he is
sending regular e-mails to our customers showing what we shipped them & I am
seeing evidence of co-workers copying Query/400 reports to M$ Excel, so there
is definitely a growing interest in flexibility of PCs accessing 400 data by
non-traditional means.

Thanks in advance for information to help Jason.