  • Subject: Re: QSYSMSG (was:Re: Help w/ AS/400)
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:37:25 EDT

I found some stuff about QSYSMSG in 3 dead tree manuals in my office ...
there may be more hits ... my SYS OP class notebooks are totally buried &
non-obvious where at the moment & I got more important stuff to be doing than
looking for them t present.

The most useful of all the manuals, for this purpose, was CL Programming
Chapter 8
Mine is SC41-3721-00 ... I am sure there is a more recent version but this
one works for me & is very dog eared

Pages 8-40 to 8-50
explain this message queue
explain each of the messages that can be sent to it
what to do if you get one of those messages
and ends with sample program to redirect copies of selected messages from
here to some place else.

In the neighborhood (of 8-40 to 8-50) is a lot of other good stuff like
logging & the system reply list

Second most useful manual that covered this kind of topic seemed to be
SC41-4206-01 (also not the latest)

System StartUp and Problem Handling
My pet name for this manual is "if all else fails"

Chapter 5 on analysing bad stuff
Appendix A from symptom to solution

Third place I found something of relevance SC21-8384-01 (consistently I never
have latest manual - I am more interested in volume of whatever resources I
can use at the office than bleeding edge)

AS/400 Operator Tasks with Multiple Operating Systems
My pet name for this manual is "400 Bible"

Page 5-14 is just the introductory remarks & points to the CL Programming
Book for the really good stuff.
Other meat in the neighborhood in this manual includes
WRKPRB
GO PROBLEM
deciphering system messages

I think it would be real smart of IBM in all of these manuals if there was a
line saying whether good idea for Master Security Officer to do the creating
of QSYSMSG.

Just another of my observations / suggestion ideas.