  • Subject: Tip for the day - Managing High Priority - CPU Blocking Jobs
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:01:46 -0400

Here's a handy tip in this APAR.
I first saw this around 3 years ago, and came across it again when trying
to see how old QSYSMSG was
(QSYSMSG predated 1991, and I believe it even existed on the S/38).

Item MA12884

  APAR Identifier ...... MA12284      Last Changed..97/07/11
  LIC-PERFM MANAGE HIGH PRIORITY CPU-BLOCKING JOBS

  Symptom ...... PR PERFM             Status ........... CLOSED  PER
  Severity ................... 2      Date Closed ......... 96/02/25
  Component .......... 9400DG300      Duplicate of ........
  Reported Release ......... 310      Fixed Release ............ 360
  Component Name 5763 5738 5716       Special Notice
  Current Target Date ..              Flags
  SCP ...................
  Platform ............

  Status Detail: SHIPMENT - Packaged solution is available for
                            shipment.

  PE PTF List:

  PTF List:
  Release 310   : MF11581 available 96/08/10 (6198 )
  Release 360   : PTF not available yet
  Release 320   : PTF not available yet

  Parent APAR:
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  See problem summary.

  LOCAL FIX:

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  High priority cpu-intensive jobs may not be manageable because
  the console is not responding.

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
  A new operator panel function (#76) is supported on Version 2
  and Version 3 Hardware models which will invoke an internal VLIC
  mechanism to inspect for a high-priority CPU-blocking job, and
  if one is found, its priority may be lowered immediately by +20
  (i.e., a priority 15 job will become a priority 35 job).  There
  are cases when the priority may not be changed, an example would
  be if the job found was QSYSARB or QLUS.  This function thus
  provides a new alternative for the operator when the system is
  100% busy (i.e., Processor Active light on solid) and no
  terminals are responding to operator requests.

  This function may not be totally successful, as the real cause
  of the symptoms may be much more complex.  A message will be
  sent to QHST and QSYSMSG and QSYSOPR describing the action(s)
  which were taken; and an internal VLIC LOG entry (1700 0301 or
  1700 0302 or 1700 0303) will also be recorded to assist with any
  possible subsequent problem resolution.  In addition, one of the
  following status SRCs will be displayed on the panel:  A900
  2052, A900 2053, A900 2054.  (To clear the SRC, it may be
  necessary to SIGNON the console).  Additional problem resolution
  steps may still be required, possibly including another
  selection of panel function #76.

  The panel functions are described in the Service Functions
  Users' Guide.  Panel function #76 can only be activated if
  functions #25 and #26 are first selected.  Subsequently, the
  higher range will be disabled by either function #25 or #26.