  • Subject: RE: V5R1 Library List Enhancement (was: PRTCMDUSG RTVJOBA)
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:11:39 +1200

I wonder whether you won't have to recompile unless there's something I missed in the original post(s)

I would have thought RTVJOBA would choke on the fact that it is trying to retrieve a 2500 character parameter  and that size doesn't match the field size you are placing into it.

What happens if (just for arguments sake) you code a RTVJOBA that puts the LIBL variable into a variable with only 150 characters because you only need the first 15. My recollection is it won't compile because the reciever variable size is incorrectc.

Since in this case the program will be lready compiled my expectation would have been a run time error.

Having said that I don't see it as a huge big deal - most of my LIBL stuff is dealt with through one or two standard functions. It's some work, but ... given the goodies rumoured to be in this release, I'll wear that happily.

I think the extension to the number of libraries may be a good thing as it may enable more libraries to be more modularly aligned with their purpose, but like all good things it could perhaps be used "for evil instead of niceness"....

Regards
Evan Harris

Recompiling isn't really the issue ... you don't have to recompile a program to be able to use the expanded library list.  But programs that are written with the assumption of 25 libraries will fail if they do a RTVJOBA and there are more.