From: MacWheel99@aol.com [mailto:MacWheel99@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 1:36 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: *** ADMIN: Probable web site outage!

> And the person who was mailed the notice and ignored it....

Many dot.com places that go bankrupt do so suddenly as a big surprise to
people who believed in this new economy theory ... I was reading in some
e-press about ISPs that went down suddenly without any warning to their
customers & stayed down, permanently, with totally lost access to the
customer data ... this could lead to a wave of bankrupsies by customers
unable to function without access to adequate ISP-backups of their data.

I wonder how much of this economy slow down is the dot com ponzi scheme
reaching into old economy enterprises that fell for it & messing them up.

Many people ignore notices that were mailed for good reason.
The first time it happened to a co-worker was notice of date of change in
state tax rates & the accounting co-worker waited until the date of the
change to tell me ON THAT DAY about this.
He wanted me to wave my magic programming hand & implement the new tax rate
retroactive to everything we had done from start of day, but the software
did
not use external tax rate files, and shipments created transactions in real
time.

I told him, pointing out the window at a truck pulling out of our loading
dock.
"Do you see that truck?"
"Yes."
"It is full of merchandise we have shipped at yesterday's tax rates ... you
need to dash out there & flag it down so we can correct the invoices that
are
inside the packages, then you need to shut our whole operation down for a
few
days, because that is how long it is going to take me to redo the software,
and thoroughly test it."

Well, this became a modification request to implement PDQ like anything
else,
but I wanted to drill down the point that the time he spent sitting on the
notice was time we ended up paying taxes without being reimbursed for them.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

david@midrange.com