If all your PC use WINS or Windows Information Naming System, or something
to that effect, You can add a static entry into your WINS server for your
AS400 name to IP address.  A quick update to that works great for all new
connection going to the new IP / AS400.  This also keeps your AS400 out of
the very public DNS.  If you are not running WINS server at your site, then
DNS is the next best thing.

Another Approach is to use a virtual IP with several routes defined in your
default router table(s).  You end the virtual IP on system A and start it on
system B.  A quick update on the router to change the primary route to
system B's static IP address.  Now you are not updating DNS or WINS that my
be controlled outside your company.

Good Luck,

Christopher K. Bipes    MailTo:Chris.Bipes@Cross-Check.com
Sr. Programmer/Analyst  MailTo:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com (alt)
CrossCheck, Inc         www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive   Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park, CA 94928  Fax: 707 586-1884

> > Good question:
> >
> > It's likely that our IP address for the 400 will change
> > within the next
> > month and we're hoping to be able to switch between our
> > production and
> > backup machines with MIMIX in the future.  With 800 users
> > (only 30 on Win2K
> > presently) a static HOSTS file would not be a good idea.
> >

> Instead of specifiying the IP address in the HOSTS file, specify the the
> name of the AS400, and on the AS400 add the host name to the host table.
As