  • Subject: using 3590 media library
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:01:00 -0500

We have a 3590 model B11 tape drive on one of our remote AS/400s, a 9406 model
510 running V3R7.  I do not have access to any manual that references this
drive.  (Is there one?)  We do not have BRMS, nor do we have any other
third-party software that helps manage this device.

I would like to get to the point where I can tell the device to load cartridge
number 3 (for example) from the media library "tower".  Currently I am unable
to do that.  Our backup, currently, will initialize whatever tape is in the
drive, save to that tape, and will automatically load the next tape in the
media library "tower" to continue the save.

TAPMLB01 is the media library device description.  TAP03 is the tape drive
device description.  View the following:
                     DISPLAY DEVICE DESCRIPTION

 DEVICE DESCRIPTION . . . . . . . . :   TAPMLB01
 OPTION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *MLBRSC
 CATEGORY OF DEVICE . . . . . . . . :   *MLB

 MEDIA LIBRARY RESOURCES. . . . . . :
 --------------------------MEDIA LIBRARY RESOURCES---
 NAME           STATUS
 TAP03          STAND-ALONE

WRKMLBSTS does not allow me to 4=Allocate the tape drive resource.  I get
CPD8F91 with one of two reason codes.  Reason 2008: "The device is in use by
another device description."  So I vary off TAP03 and try 4=Allocate again.
Then I get reason 2003: "The resource is not attached to this media library",
which leads me on a wild goose chase for supposedly solving this problem.

I have been told that I should ensure that the status display on the 3590
device should show that it is in "LIBRARY" mode and not "AUTOMATIC" in order
to achieve my goal.  (I may have misstated one or both of the statuses -
please confirm.)  (FWIW, this drive is attached only to the AS/400.)
Supposedly, getting the mode right on the unit will allow me to do the
4=Allocate and the other options that would allow me to manage the tapes in
the media library.

If that is true, can someone write a simple line-by-line set of instructions
that will indicate how to set it in the right mode that I can send to the
person who would be able to do this for me at the remote location?

All pertinent advice is greatly appreciated!

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952