        From:   D.BALE@handleman.com [SMTP:D.BALE@handleman.com]
        Sent:   Thursday, March 22, 2001 8:01 AM
        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
        Subject:        using 3590 media library

        We have a 3590 model B11 tape drive on one of our remote AS/400s, a
9406 model
        510 running V3R7.  I do not have access to any manual that
references this
        drive.  (Is there one?)  We do not have BRMS, nor do we have any
other
        third-party software that helps manage this device.

        I would like to get to the point where I can tell the device to load
cartridge
        number 3 (for example) from the media library "tower".  Currently I
am unable
        to do that.  Our backup, currently, will initialize whatever tape is
in the
        drive, save to that tape, and will automatically load the next tape
in the
        media library "tower" to continue the save.

        TAPMLB01 is the media library device description.  TAP03 is the tape
drive
        device description.  View the following:
                             DISPLAY DEVICE DESCRIPTION

         DEVICE DESCRIPTION . . . . . . . . :   TAPMLB01
         OPTION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *MLBRSC
         CATEGORY OF DEVICE . . . . . . . . :   *MLB

         MEDIA LIBRARY RESOURCES. . . . . . :
         --------------------------MEDIA LIBRARY RESOURCES---
         NAME           STATUS
         TAP03          STAND-ALONE

        WRKMLBSTS does not allow me to 4=Allocate the tape drive resource.
I get
        CPD8F91 with one of two reason codes.  Reason 2008: "The device is
in use by
        another device description."  So I vary off TAP03 and try 4=Allocate
again.
        Then I get reason 2003: "The resource is not attached to this media
library",
        which leads me on a wild goose chase for supposedly solving this
problem.

        I have been told that I should ensure that the status display on the
3590
        device should show that it is in "LIBRARY" mode and not "AUTOMATIC"
in order
        to achieve my goal.  (I may have misstated one or both of the
statuses -
        please confirm.)  (FWIW, this drive is attached only to the AS/400.)
        Supposedly, getting the mode right on the unit will allow me to do
the
        4=Allocate and the other options that would allow me to manage the
tapes in
        the media library.

        If that is true, can someone write a simple line-by-line set of
instructions
        that will indicate how to set it in the right mode that I can send
to the
        person who would be able to do this for me at the remote location?

        All pertinent advice is greatly appreciated!

        Dan Bale
        IT - AS/400
        Handleman Company
        248-362-4400  Ext. 4952