  • Subject: RE: Web apps on the AS/400
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:57:54 -0600

Brad, you definitely need to lighten up.  It's in no way a personal attack
for me to say that e-RPG is rigid compared to OO technology.  Go to your
archives, if you want.  You were dissing Java as a language while asking
basic questions on how to use it.  I told you to write some code before you
dissed the language, and you told me to get off my high horse.

As to my opinion on e-RPG, as a veteran of over 20 years of RPG programming,
I am definitely entitled to an opinion as to whether RPG is suited for
developing HTML applications.  And my opinion is that it's not.  Java is
better for vector and string manipulation than RPG, even RPG IV, and is far
better for the sorts of OO techniques that make designing widgets easy.
Techniques such as Decorator classes, which you are busily asking about (and
I am just as busily answering) on JAVA400-L.  You ask my help there and then
call me out here.

No, an informed decision doesn't provoke a response on JAVA400-L.  You get
whapped on JAVA400-L when you post things like, "Also, Java doesn't solve
these problems, which is why it is more theory that reality," while at the
same time you're asking basic questions like, "how would I declare FILENAME
as static final?".  Dissing without paying dues.  I hate that.

And so I did a little whapping!  WHEEEE!

Joe