  • Subject: Re: Optical Library
  • From: "Sims, Ken" <KSIMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:09:58 -0500

Hi John -

>I was able to ftp to the optical.  I can't seem to get the cpy to work.
>I don't know if it is incapable of coping data or that I am just
>specifying it incorrectly
>cpy doesn't seem to be able to make a binary file that is a copy of a
>save file.
>I get "Object is not a directory" error when I try to use it.  It would
>seem that if FTP can do it there should be another way to do it.  Or is
>it possible to run a separate FTP server that will only respond
>internally.  Occasionally I need a regular ftp server running but most
>of the time I prefer not to have it active.

I didn't want to do anything actually on our optical since we are using WORM
cartridges, so I did some experimenting with a plain ol' IFS folder.  I was
able to copy a regular database file to the IFS with CPY, but I couldn't get
it back; and like you, I couldn't get a save file to go at all.

However I was able to use CPYTOSTMF to copy a save file to the IFS and
CPYFRMSTMF to copy it from the IFS back into another save file.

CPYTOSTMF FROMMBR('/qsys.lib/kslib.lib/nvtest.file')
TOSTMF('/home/KEN/nvtest.savf') CVTDTA(*NONE)
copied save file NVTEST in library KSLIB to a file called nvtest.savf in
folder /home/KEN.

Likewise
CPYFRMSTMF FROMSTMF('/home/KEN/nvtest.savf')
TOMBR('/qsys.lib/kslib.lib/nvtest2.file') MBROPT(*REPLACE) CVTDTA(*NONE)
copied the file back to an existing save file called NVTEST2.
MBROPT(*REPLACE) was required because the save file already existed.

CPYFRMSTMF FROMSTMF('/home/KEN/nvtest.savf')
TOMBR('/qsys.lib/kslib.lib/nvtest3.file') CVTDTA(*NONE)
copied the file back to a new save file called NVTEST3.  Since the save file
did not exist, MBROPT(*REPLACE) was not required.

I couldn't use CPYTOSTMF with a regular database file.  The second level
text on the error message indicated that it only works with source physical
files or files created without DDS.  I suppose that CPYTOIMPF and CPYFRMIMPF
would be the way to go, however it would probably be easiest to just stick
with save files.

So CPYTOSTMF/CPYFRMSTMF should let you do what you want, at least with save
files, without needing to have the FTP server running.

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.