  • Subject: Re: English text to Spanish
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:24:57 EST

The AS/400 comes with the capability of having multi-language support, which
some software products use, such as BPCS.  We do not use this, but my
understanding is that it merely has fields & chunks of data that might show
up on a screen or a report header or error message, written in a particular
human language, it is not a translation tool.

Now there are language translation packages for use on the PC & I imagine
that with ability to send 400 data to PC & vica versa, it might be practical
to have some 400 output go to PC, be translated to language of choice, then

The problem as I understand it is that the state of art of PC language
translation can be a bit brain dead.  Have you ever used a grammar checker on
a PC word processor?  Does it seem like this software was developed by
someone who knows the rules but not how they are applied in the real world?

I do not believe the state of art is such that you could have a clerk who
knows only English, prepare some document on the 400, run it through
translator software & send it off to foreign country & expect foreign
language speaker to make heads or tails of it.

I think state of art is such that you have to have like boiler plate
documents & parts of documents in which you have the English version & the
Spanish version & some assurance they have identical meaning & someone
reading one version says "Oh I want the other language version of this." But
if they need to re-write their language version, then they need to send the
result in their language to a professional human translator before the result
in the other language gets sent out.

> Subj:  English text to Spanish
>  Date:    02/25/2001 12:29:19 PM Central Standard Time
>  From:    theresa.luebeck@springs.com
>
>  Does anyone know of a software product out there that will convert a
> string
>  of English text to Spanish on the AS/400?  We would like to be able to
>  print certain parts of documents in Spanish.  Thanks in advance.
>
>  Terry Luebeck
>  Sr. Systems Engineer
>  Springs Window Fashions
>  608-828-4080

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838