  • Subject: RE: PL/I for AS/400
  • From: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:38:34 -0500

A machine running 1.2 is (maybe) good for a boat anchor. Get a 170/270 from
IBM to play with. As for PL/I... if you have PL/I code that you a porting
then PL/I is still a viable option. If you are looking to develop NEW code
in PL/I think again.

Several years ago IBM deprecated PL/I to a PRPQ from a LPP. Generally this
means two things. 1) No enhancements and 2) Available in English only. LPPs
must be translated into each of the AS/400 languages (20 some odd I think).
and that takes money!

I don't see IBM dropping support for PL/I anytime soon. If for no other
reason than the majority of the Cool:2E (aka Synon/2E) case tool is written
in PL/I. If IBM was to drop support for the PL/I compiler than Computer
Associates would have a hard time maintaining it and all the customers with
the tool would KILL IBM. Putting aside the good/bad discussions of 2E any
tool that has generated (conservatively) several hundred million lines of
code (probably several billion) is not a tool to be trifled with.

-Walden