Buck, I always respect your opinions.

>1) Most good applications are not ported to multiple platforms, or if
>they are, the "native" platform is always seen as the premier system.

Is this true even today?  Have not several of the large ERP vendors ported
their packages to various platforms?  Or, to tackle the "premier" argument,
would not a decision maker with knowledge of the superiority of AS/400-iSeries
consider those packages for which the AS/400 is not the "premier" system?  If
not, why would the package vendors *ever* port anything?

>Witness Word for Mac.

You would dare use a Micro$oft product for this argument?!?!? <g>

> >what is a "great program"?
>My opinion: One that tens of thousands of people can readily name.  Word,

Buck, I think the word you're looking for is "popular", not "great".
Especially when it comes to Microsoft products.  For me, "greatness" has to go
beyond popularity.  A great software product must also do what it was intended
to do without causing problems, without puking all over the system while
attempting to do simple tasks, etc.

Hmmm, can you tell I've had my fair share of pain using Microsoft products?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952