Great products?

Business Reporting And Development System (BRADS) on the System/36.

AD/Cycle.

Microsoft Bob.

RPG.

TopView.

WordPerfect/400.

</sarcasm>

-- Don Schenck
   Schenck Technical Consulting
   DonS@SchenckTech.com / www.SchenckTech.com 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: D.BALE@handleman.com [mailto:D.BALE@handleman.com]
> Sent: January 29, 2001 3:23 PM
> To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> Subject: RE: New names
> 
> 
> Buck, I always respect your opinions.
> 
> >1) Most good applications are not ported to multiple platforms, or if
> >they are, the "native" platform is always seen as the premier system.
> 
> Is this true even today?  Have not several of the large ERP 
> vendors ported
> their packages to various platforms?  Or, to tackle the 
> "premier" argument,
> would not a decision maker with knowledge of the superiority 
> of AS/400-iSeries
> consider those packages for which the AS/400 is not the 
> "premier" system?  If
> not, why would the package vendors *ever* port anything?
> 
> >Witness Word for Mac.
> 
> You would dare use a Micro$oft product for this argument?!?!? <g>
> 
> > >what is a "great program"?
> >My opinion: One that tens of thousands of people can readily 
> name.  Word,
> 
> Buck, I think the word you're looking for is "popular", not "great".
> Especially when it comes to Microsoft products.  For me, 
> "greatness" has to go
> beyond popularity.  A great software product must also do 
> what it was intended
> to do without causing problems, without puking all over the 
> system while
> attempting to do simple tasks, etc.
> 
> Hmmm, can you tell I've had my fair share of pain using 
> Microsoft products?
> 
> Dan Bale
> IT - AS/400
> Handleman Company
> 248-362-4400  Ext. 4952
> 
> -------------------------- Original Message --------------------------
> >IMO, companies do NOT choose to buy AS/400-iSeries over 
> other platforms for
> >"great" programs, primarily because I think most good 
> applications are
> ported
> >to multiple platforms nowadays, but rather they choose AS/400-iSeries
> because
> >it is a rock-solid platform with a damned good OS that 
> hardly ever goes
> down
> >and, oh yes, it is one of the platforms that happens to run 
> the software
> >package they're interested in.  (O.K., maybe not necessarily 
> in that order
> of
> >priority.)
> 
> With the greatest of respect I disagree on several points.
> 
> 1) Most good applications are not ported to multiple 
> platforms, or if they
> are, the "native" platform is always seen as the premier 
> system.  Witness
> Word for Mac.
> 2) Software sales drive the hardware/OS sales.  It was true 
> in the 80's and
> is true today.  Thousands of accountants walked into their 
> local computer
> store and said "I want to buy Lotus.  Sell me whatever 
> computer runs it."
> They did not choose hardware and then ask what software can run on it.
> 
> >what is a "great program"?
> 
> My opinion: One that tens of thousands of people can readily 
> name.  Word,
> 1-2-3 and Quake meet this criteria.  No matter how good they 
> are, Code/400,
> DBU and neither Visual RPG do.  Nobody buys an AS/400 because 
> they can run
> Turnover on it.
> 
> Buck Calabro
> Aptis; Albany, NY
> "Nothing is so firmly believed as
>  that which we least know" -- Michel Montaigne
> Visit the Midrange archives at http://www.midrange.com
> +---
> | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> | To unsubscribe from this list send email to 
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: 
> david@midrange.com
> +---
> 
+---
| This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
| To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
| To unsubscribe from this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
| Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com
+---

This thread ...


Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2019 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].