  • Subject: RE: DSL Firewall Question
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:25:01 -0600

<<original snippets>>>
To add another firewall behind your router adds unnecessary
redundancy.
  Or is basic protection good enough?

IMHO

Ask a security company like Guardent about how much protection you need,
ask the brokerage firm in New York that could only sit and watch
millions of dollars transferred to a Swiss bank account,
ask all theses ISP's and WWW sites that have had credit card
numbers "lifted" - they are running port filter "hardware"
and software firewalls - and they still got broken into...

Security can be tedious and annoying to deal with -
but even if you do not keep ANY personal information on your
home PC; you are still a gateway for some bored hack that
thinks in ones and zeros and can use your PC to launch
attacks elsewhere - and then the FBI is asking you questions.

It may seem like overkill -
but think of it like this;
your a police officer - policy forces you to wear a bullet
proof vest ALL the time, your car is armored, the glass is
bullet proof; and you live in a hot desolate small town in
Arizona with a population of 100,
what could you possible need that heavy, hot vest for
when all you do is pull over your friends to talk about the
next church pie social-
Then one day, some wacko starts firing on you from a passing car,
the vest saves your life - this time----
next time the car might be a plane,
and the gun might be a nuclear war head

We have to be proactive in protection,
the hackers are way ahead in the game -
and until we ALL realize this and make it a priority
to protect ourselves, we will always be at risk.

Have you seen the movie Enemy Of The State,
that was child's play compared to what the hackers
appear to be heading towards.

Can you tell it is a Friday...