  • Subject: Re: TCP Problem
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:43:08 -0500

First question is if the NAT Translation is static or dynamic. If
dynamic you will never PING the AS/400 because the outside address of
the AS/400 changes each time it goes out to the web. (you also won't get
HTTP to work because you can't find the AS/400 on port 80 either)

Depending on your firewall you can static an entire address to the
aS/400 (all protocols, all ports). Firewalls such as Cisco PIX use this
strategy. In this case you would know the AS/400's address but you still
can't ping the AS/400 unless you have enabled ICMP traffic to come in
through the firewall (a command such as CONDUIT PERMIT ICMP ALL ALL will
allow incoming PING and TRACERT traffic on a PIX.)

Other firwalls let you direct just a single port (such as port 80 for
HTTP) to the AS/400 while other ports (such as 25 for Mail or 21 for
Telnet) are directed to other Private (internal) IP addresses from the
same Public (external) IP address. This will work great for web serving
but will not allow PING to work.

In general most firewall administrators turn off the ability to PING and
TRACERT through the firewall because these tools give a hacker some part
of a view of what is inside your network. With hackers, the less they
know the better!

Hope this helps!

 - Larry

--