  • Subject: RE: Survey for AS/400 Developers (ISERIES) DB2/400RE
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:26:14 -0500

Then simply create a view which doesn't take advantage of the new features.
Have you ever created a logical file which did not include all fields from
a physical file?  That is all IBM is asking you to do.  If you don't want
to use that field, or function, then don't include it in your view.  Nonuse
of the new field, or function, will then allow the new view to be read
using traditional methods such as READ or CHAIN.

How many people are using BLOBS in their shop, and don't use SQL in their
shop?  I think that this was Buck's point.  Whomever wants to use these new
functions are likely to have SQL.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    Lou Forlini

                    <lforlini@sspi-soft        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    ware.com>                  cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     RE: Survey for
AS/400 Developers (ISERIES) DB2/400RE
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    10/27/00 01:04 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

At 12:15 PM -0400 10/27/00, Buck Calabro wrote:
>It is EXTREMELY unlikely that the companies that are averse to using SQL
>will ever want (for example) to manipulate BLOBS in native RPG.  They will
>never find a need to add "advanced function" to their files.  They won't
be
>buying Package X from a vendor and then try to manipulate those files
>themselves, because they're too cheap to buy the SQL precompiler, much
less
>a package.  The fact that these companies can't get at advanced DB
function
>without SQL simply is a non-issue for them.  Many of them have yet to
>discover OPNQRYF, much less DATE fields.

    Unfortunately, you have just described a large number of my
customers.  THEY will not put "advanced" functions into their files,
but their 3rd party vendors will.  And as soon as they receive even
ONE of those files, our software breaks.

    It's not access to the new feature that's the problem, it's the
part where IBM says:

    "However, if a new SQL view is created or an existing SQL View is
recreated to use a new database feature delivered in a release after
V4R5, the open will fail.  Native opens also may fail against SQL
Views created and shipped by software vendors - if their view uses a
database feature not available in V4R5."

>The client is always right about their business.  They are most certainly
>NOT always right about programming.  If they were, why would they need me?
>If the client can't afford to buy SQL, what can they afford?

    I certainly can't require an IBM feature that in all likelihood
costs more than my software does as a prerequisite.  No customer is
going to go through the aggravation of ordering and installing it
just to try out my software.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer