  • Subject: RE: work contracts inquiry
  • From: "Bob Crothers" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:18:01 -0500

Shadrach,

The stuff in the new contract is actually the default if there is no contract.  Since you are an employee, ANYTHING you do relating (and I’m not sure if it even has to relate!) to computers is owned by the company.  This is standard copyright law like it or not.  However, the “6 months post employment” part is not standard at all and does not seem enforceable.

One of the standards of employment contracts (per our lawyer) is that they can not stop you from earning a living in your chosen field.  And the above says that for 6 months after you leave, any new programs are their property…therefore denying you the opportunity to earn a living.

Another standard is that they must be specific.  And the more specific, the easier they are to enforce.  Eg: Our contract might say “you cant work for a competitor”.  We could probably enforce that depending on the company.  If it said, “you can’t work for Quadrant, BuisCom or Fax Star” then not only is it a very reasonable statement (these are direct no questions competitors of ours), but would be virtually impossible for the employee to fight.

The best thing to do if you are an RPG programmer (at work anyway) and decide to do a Palm Pilot app (in C++) that is NOT in your companies area (eg: Your company sells Cars and your proposed Application is for musicians)  is to get pre-approval (in Writing).  This way if they say Ok, you have no problems.  If they say No, you can either be the good little employee and get back to work, or you can quit, go to work for a more appreciative company or put out your own shingle.  But most companies will agree to let you do your App.

JMHO and I’m not a lawyer…the above is worth the paper it is not printed on.

Bob Crothers