  • Subject: RE: The relevance of V3R2
  • From: "Gary R. Patterson" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:11:59 -0500

Admittedly flawed "survey" methodology, at best.  And yes, I don't think (US
and Canadian - don't know about wider international markets) CISC shops are
spending much on any sort of AS/400 products or services, including
training.  I think it rather -reinforces- the point that CISC shops are not
spending money on AS/400 stuff.

I disagree, though, that this is a tough issue for software developers.  It
is a fairly simple economic decision:  Count up the revenue dollars from
CISC shops vs. the expenses of developing for and supporting them.  If it is
in the red, drop development and support and focus on newer, profitable
releases.

I'm curious, now: Who is out there making money from CISC shops?

Gary R. Patterson
NexSource, Inc.

Information technology services for business
http://www.nexsource.com