  • Subject: RE: Was RE: Journaling - Now how to find who read
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:47:57 -0400

Mark,

Just a thought.  You indicated your that your customer service reps use a
lot of programs to do their inquiries.  You didn't say how many, so this may
or may not be practical.

In these program, you could add a call to a sub-program and pass it the
customer number the user is looking at.  The sub-program writes out to a log
file.  Because you are not changing the underlying logic, the changes are
simple.  (Even though there may be a lot of programs to change).

The other advantage of this approach is it would give you the option to call
the Notepad program directly, instead of this sub-program that does the
logging.  You could change the Notepad program to accept a parm of the
customer number.  The Notepad program can check, and if parms > 0, just
substitute the parm for the customer number on the screen. (Again, no change
to the underlying logic.)  Then the only thing the user should need to key
in is the note itself.

I would think this would be worth the extra effort, because you save someone
from having to manually check a report to see if all the notes were entered.
The system enforces the discipline.

I was also wondering if the Notepad program is set up so the 5 - 10 most
common notes are available via command key.  I ask this because sometimes
users don't forget to enter the required data, they just feel it takes too
much time and effort.  That may not apply in this case.

JMHO.

jt