  • Subject: Re: State of the Midrange
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:10:21 -0400

On IBM Learning Services Network (satellite) this morn was a taped
interview w/someone from IBM describing their initiative to bring 50,000
pgmrs up to speed on this stuff ON THE AS400 within the next year. There
will be specific courses-WebSphere on the 400, Java on the 400, etc, on
the web courses (live/interactive), satellite, classroom (both from IBM &
certified BPs). Take advantage. If your company won't pay for it, do it
on your own! I'm spending a week of vacation at Common! I pay a couple
thousand a year for the satellite network-best investment ever! 24x7 courses
I can tape. Net.Data, Java, WebSphere, TCP/IP, etc. I don't want
to be the like the S36 pgmrs of ancient times (not meant as a slam-it was a
great machine and I still code some rpgii). But many of us have a ways to go
before retirement. I heard all the people who had trouble finding work after
Y2K. Did not hear anyone with the above skills complaining!
IBM AS400 Learning  http://www-3.ibm.com/services/learning/community/as400/
Satellite Network  www.etnetworks.com
Jim Franz