  • Subject: Re: A quick question on spool files
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:34:02 -0700

First you need to create the physical file you want to put the spool file into.
 I just use
CRTPF, give the name and a length (80, 132, 400, whatever).
Then use SAVSPLF, you need to give a lot of information on the spool file to
save to
a physical file, spool file name, job name, user name, spool file number.  Put
in the file
name of the physical file you created.

Okay, so now you have your spool file into a physical file.  Now you can do
anything
you can do with a physical file.  The first thing you are probably goign to
want to do is
to create DDS for the physical file.  Look at your column layouts and create
the DDS
based on that.  I would generally do this to another physical file and do a
CPYF from
the original file to the DDS file with MAP(*NOCHK).  This will just copy the
records
without checking for layout.  Then browse the file and see if you have it
right.  Ooops,
missed that one by a column, change the DDS, recompile, do CPYF again.

Now you can do your queries.

If this is somethign you are going to be doing over and over for a certain
pyscial file and
you keep the physical file and just SAVSPLF directly into the DDS file.  Stick
in all in
a CL.

Regards,

Jim Langston