About two weeks ago we experienced the exact same thing, it appears as
though there was a failure of the UPS.  When we called IBM they said they
aren't covered on service and we had to call Best Power, which we did.
They are shipping us a new one for $405 (and shipping back the bad one).
In the meantime, we just plugged it straight into the outlet.

I figured we were unique, if, however, this is a widespread problem, maybe
we should put some pressure on IBM to replace it.

 Anybody else have it happen?

                    "M. Lazarus"

                    <mlazarus@ttec.com>            To:
MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    midrange-l-owner@UUCPHO        Subject:     AS/400 time
warp or black hole?
                    ST.MCS.NET

                    08/02/00 12:53 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

  A client experienced something very strange this morning.  Their AS/400
(model 170, which also runs NT and Domino) was silent.  Front panel
dark.  The UPS was also off.  There was no power failure and no one in the
office during the time period that it must have turned off.

  The above is odd, but not the clincher!

  The QHST log entries were posted @ 1:13am (where the backup ended and the
tape was ejected), 4:00am when PM/400 tried to dial out and failed (due to
the modem not being in the proper state, which is a normal condition.)  The
next entry was @ 8:37 when the operator started the IPL.

  The system was off when the first person came into office @ 6:30am.  So
sometime between 4 and 6:30 it magically went "lights out."  The SYSVAL
says that the system terminated abnormally.

  QSYSOPR just shows the normal IPL msgs. DSPLOG shows no abnormal msg. for
that time period.  SST shows no dumps, LIC errors, hardware errors.  Power
backup test via SST passes.  WRKPRB does not have an entry for that time
period (other than the comm line error, which is normal.)

  I'm having IBM come in and check the internal battery and the UPS (which
is an IBM unit).

  My question is: What would cause this?  The only thing I can think of is
that the internal battery is dead and the UPS failed, so the system just
stopped cold and couldn't write anything to any logs.

  Has anyone run into this before?  Thanks.

  -mark
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com