  • Subject: Re: Large screen monitor
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:05:03 EDT

I do not know the technical details of how to do it ... I am just suggesting
some alternative models of possible goals of what gets connected to the
network.

As I understand it ... reason for desirability of this is not issue of user
with failing eyesight needing larger size font & compliance with law about
disabled employees, rather that monitor is desired to be readable by many
workers on factory floor, transmitting the kind of information we see at
airports which flight schedules in which they often communicate the data
using a small fortune in monitors .... a wall has a sea of monitors, each
containing a small part of the total picture.

I have been to several seminars & classes by IBM & Business Partners where
the data for the monitor of a notebook computer or dumb terminal of presenter
is redirected to large wall movie screen.  I should think that technology is
readily available for end customer sites, for use in our conference room user
training, and for the factory floor scenario, assuming you have sufficient
flat wall available to place this, and if the picture reaches the screen by
traditional projection, it can be positioned from above downwards to angled
screen so as to limit blockage by people walking in front of the screen.
Eventually this technology should make it into the school systems.

This technology normally seems to work best in a darkened room, which would
not work well with the factory setting, so I wonder at the cost of the wall
sized TV screen, which is often found in bars & restaurants showing some
sporting event off ESPN, compared to airports sometimes using how many
individual monitors with portions of the total picture ... I think the
airport approach could be more expensive, other than the issue of easy
replacement of failed units.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies