  • Subject: RE: IBM - Get with it.
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:10:12 -0400

Todd Kidwell said;

>I guess I'm guilty of getting excited about the future of the AS/400
again.  After reading so many positive things >about the AS/400 on the
various web sites, I started bragging to the Unix administrators about the
capabilities.  >Most were impressed (to say the least).  One didn't believe
me, so I went to the IBM web site to show him.  >Nothing.   If you want to
read something good about the AS/400, don't try to find it on the IBM site.
I can't >believe how good they are at hiding this system.

NOTE:
(Caveat emptor:  If you think the AS/400 is just another computer and would
just as well work on Unix, stop now and delete this message and go on to
the important messages about PF's -> DDS creation or something.)

Todd,  et al

RANT(*ON)

You might have noticed my posts on this general theme throughout the last
couple of years.  One might say that I have been "Active" on this issue.

I agree that the AS/400 web site doesn't provide a "good, easy to find,
index" of reference material for the purpose of propaganda.  (I will work
on fixing that if I can.) I have accumulated for myself a little bit of
reference material(web sites, news articles, on various subjects about the
AS/400).

One thing I do is visit different forums now and then and post(ie the
CPFman post).  I write to writers/editors/website admins and ask for
coverage.  I firmly believe these types of activities are important. If the
people I just mentioned keep getting mail from many different people they
will be affected.

If anyone wants some propaganda material(URL's of articles, white papers,
speeds, feeds, stats, etc) let me know and I will help you.

It is more than a hobby with me I guess.  I've spent 20 years on this
platform and its parents,  I like the AS/400.  I would like to retire on
it's children.   I really don't relish working on Unix, Linux(Unix with
lipstick), or Windows.  So you might call it "Self preservation"

Sorry for the rambling,

I know some of you out there have been with me on various web forums, doing
the same thing.  My hat is off to you for not just whining about the
situation(you know like (say) keynote speeches at COMMON) and never writing
an article in a magazine(outside the AS/400 magazine market I mean), or
writing to an editor, or writer, or posting to a forum, or otherwise
constructively trying to help.   Take a second when you visit those web
sites and press the "Contact Us" URL and say, "Where the heck is the AS/400
coverage???"   The career on the AS/400 you may save may be your own.

So If you want some ammo, let me know and I will help if I can.
And get out there and put your fingers to the keyboard and influence
someone who doesn't know what an AS/400 is.

BTW that includes people at IBM.  You would be surprised who might answer
you.(No not Lou).

Book mark this site.  http://whois.ibm.com/

Key in a name and write them an email saying
"So where the heck is the AS/400 marketing focus???"

RANT(*OFF)

Carpe Diem (Latin for dead fish)

One last thing,  Make sure you see the Infoworld July 31st issue(visit the
website)
We may just have some coverage there <VBSEG> :@)

John (aka CPFman, aka Samsara)  Carr