I have seen that symptom before!

If 177KB means bytes per second, then you are currently using about 14
percent of the circuit capacity (177 * 8 = 1416; 1416/10000 = 0.14).  If you
can get to about 50 percent, I think you are doing fine.

I will bet you a Guinness that the problem is either the half- versus
full-duplex settings or the frame size.  I prefer that everything be set to
half duplex, it seems to work better for me.  I think that you are getting
lots of collisions because the settings are different.

You might check to see if the hub and wiring are working properly - replace
the hub and both cables, one at a time.

You might also try to send in the opposite direction, that may help
troubleshoot the problem.

I also suggest that you perform a transfer and run performance tools with
traces on both boxes then run the performance advisor.  Advisor seems to
know how to look at some of the low-level data in the Ethernet performance
files better than most people - certainly better than me.

It is also possible that the Ethernet tasks are being killed by some system
tuning issue - like their priority is too low and the systems are running at
100% or the memory pool that they are running in is completely overwhelmed.

Make sure that you have the latest and greatest Ethernet PTFs.

Try to get off of 10 Mbit as soon as possible.  There is no economy there.

But I still think that it is probably the duplex setting.  Set them both to
Half and try it again.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
www.richardjacksonltd.com