  • Subject: RE: Net.Data
  • From: "Dave Miller" <dlmiller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:48:17 -0700

Being able to process credit cards requires certification by the financial
institution that is processing the card transactions.  They are not very
flexible in how this must be done.  At the very minimum you must have a
secure server and not allow credit card information to be sent via email.

In addition, the connection to the credit card processor follows specific
protocols.  Net.Data does not have the capabilities in it to do this.
Neither does CGI programming by itself.  For the AS/400, IBM has a product
for ecommerce called payment processing (it is actually a program product
that you order)  that has all the interfaces built into it and the correct
protocols.

Each card has a different way that the payment is cleared.  (i.e. MasterCard
is different from Visa which is different from American Express, which is
different from Discover, etc).  Also most credit card processors require a
review of how you are processing the cards and they want to know
specifically how the internet transactions are processed.  (It is a lot
easier to get approved if you are already have a merchant account).  The
process can take several weeks and will require a credit check if you do not
already have an account...

A lot depends on what you mean by eCommerce.  If you are interested I can
provide more information.  I have set this up a few times at different
locations and each time is a little different than the last...

Dave Miller
J. Quint & Associates
Phone(310) 636-1163 Fax (310) 636-1162
email: dlmiller@jquint.com