From: Stefan.Tageson@notes.sema.se [mailto:Stefan.Tageson@notes.sema.se]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 12:09 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: IFS limitations?

Eric, this is what I've found in the "fine" manual The System
Administrator's Companion to AS/400 Availability and Recovery Redbook
(SG24-2161):

For practical reasons I guess the question is how You are going to locate
the files, doing a directory search on a large number of files will
probably give you response times that have to measured using your calendar.

Regards
// Stefan

A.5 Miscellaneous Limits

Table 14. Miscellaneous Limits
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Miscellaneous Limits                                   | Value          |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of libraries in a library list          | 43             |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of libraries in the user portion of the | 25             |
| library list                                           |                |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of objects in a library                 | approx 360 000 |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of documents (DLOs) in a user ASP       | approx 349 000 |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of folders in an ASP                    | 65 536         |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of auxiliary storage pools (ASPs)       | 1 system ASP   |
|                                                        | and 15 user    |
|                                                        | ASPs           |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of objects on the system or in one /    | Amount of      |
| root file system                                       | storage        |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of directories in one directory in the  | 32 000 (approx |
| root, QopenSys, or user-defined file systems           | 100 for good   |
|                                                        | performance)   |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum size of a stream file                          | 2 gigabytes    |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum size of a user space                           | 16 776 704     |
|                                                        | bytes          |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum system and I/O hardware configurations and     | See AS/400     |
| capacities                                             | System Handbook|
|                                                        | (GA19-5486)    |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of DASD arms                            | 596            |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Minimum number of DASD arms required for acceptable    | Contact your   |
| performance (13)                                       | IBM technical  |
|                                                        | representative |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum size of QSYSOPR message queue (14)             | 16 megabytes   |
|                                                        | (approx 75 000 |
|                                                        | messages)      |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum number of input fields that can be specified   | 256            |
| for a display file                                     |                |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|
| Maximum size of files when filing OfficeVision mail    | 16 megabytes   |
| locally                                                |                |
|--------------------------------------------------------+----------------|

                    eric.delong@pmsi-se

                    rvices.com                 To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    owner-midrange-l@mi        Subject:     IFS limitations?

                    drange.com

                    2000-07-12 18:41

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

     What is the maximum number of files that can be stored in an IFS
     directory? We're looking at storing imaged documents (tiff) on the
     400. TFM has not provoded the answer yet......

     tia
     eric.delong@pmsi-services.com

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com