  • Subject: DDS Support
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:36:59 -0400

 >> I think the point is: The users don't *WANT* SEU to be dead.  IBM has
made a BAD decision by not continuing to develop SEU (IMHO).  Wouldn't be
the first time ;-)

I agree that IBM often makes bad decisions, but frankly IMO this is not one
of them. Sorry, but for once you and I are in total disagreement.

Would these be the same users who constantly critique IBM for not providing
modern development tools ?

I think you might have a point if they had discontinued the product - but
they haven't.  They opened the door to user defined extensions (and "user"
can of course be third party tools) and are now focusing their investment
on workstation based tools.  I suspect that the next generation will
probably be Java based and therefore may well be available without having
to use Windoze, but I don't know that for sure.

You might also have a point if they had left the price point of Code/400
where it was, but they haven't.  Not only have they priced it realistically
but they throw in VARPG too and shortly VAJava and Websphere Studio as
well.

If you're going to be doing serious AS/400 development in the future then
you should be moving in this direction.  If not then keep using SEU - its
not going anywhere.

SEU is old as the hills, held together with baler twine and chewing gum.
Any significant enhancement would require major major bucks.  If you want
to get an idea of how hard/expensive something as old as this is to
maintain then consider this.  The RPG IV compiler typically has nearly as
many enhancements PER RELEASE as the RPG/400 compiler got in its lifetime
on the AS/400.  Not only that but it had a larger (quite a bit larger)
development team than they have now.  I know Hans and Barbara are brilliant
but even they don't account for this much difference.  A lot of it has to
do with the state of the code - guess what the RPG/400 compiler and SEU are
pretty much the same age - they stopped enhancing RPG/400 back in V2R2!