  • Subject: Re: DDS Support (Re: NT web server access to AS400)
  • From: "John Taylor" <john.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:12:57 -0600

Rob,

The main advantage to the customer is that IBM would be focusing all of
their resources on a single DDL instead of duplicating functionality across
both of them. I would hope that this would mean richer enhancements in a
more timely manner.

Now, you can argue that the sole DDL should be DDS. Personally, it doesn't
matter much to me whether it is DDS or SQL, because the actual time spent
working with the DDL is a tiny fraction of the overall development time on
most projects. Moreover, the syntax is so simple with both, that training a
new developer to use either is a non-issue.

Clearly, IBM feels that SQL is the way to go. Perhaps it is because they are
trying to standardize the DB feature set across all platforms. This (IMO) is
a good thing for us as developers. I'll grant you that if all you use is an
AS/400, and all you ever intend to use is an AS/400, then this DB
standardization offers no benefit for you. However, for those of us who
_have_ to write applications on multiple platforms (because an AS/400 is not
the best tool for every job), then what they are doing should simplify our
lives - and therefore it increases the likelyhood that we will deploy a
version of DB2 across all of our platforms.

Regards,

John Taylor
Canada