  • Subject: Re: eRPG; where are my images
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:44:00 -0400

Booth wrote:
>My experience is that nothing is lost and universality is won when one
>stays to an 8.3 naming convention.  Everyone's software understands
>myfile.txt and mypic01.jpg.  Longer names are nice but mixing cases,
>inserting blanks, and hidden extensions just cause unneeded troubles,
>especially when the Internet is still so new.  As the world begins moving
>to the new Internet Appliances and hand-helds we are going to see more and
>more browser incompatibility imho, so staying with the lowest common
>denominator makes sense unless there is a compelling argument to the
>contrary.

Yucch!  Does anyone still use DOS these days?

In the current thread, we are discussing stuff like
how browsers request files and how servers serve
them.  The syntax of URL's and URI's is well defined,
and any piece of software that doesn't handled them
properly is defective, not just the "lowest common
denominator".  The fact that some part of a URI sort
of looks like part of a file name on some system is
totally irrelevant.

(For example, someone else noted how MSIE is buggy
in that it accepts URI's with embedded blanks.)

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com