  • Subject: Re: AS/400 Trivia...
  • From: nina jones <ddi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:03:52 -0500

"Al Barsa, Jr." wrote:

> Trivia Question - Name the system that...

--- big snip!

> Answer:
> AS400.... for Extreme Business! Share the News!

on sharing the news = can we use that in our websites, etc?  great
thought provoking stuff!

we have a client that has several p/c networks for other applications,
and an as/400 that runs ours.

the manager was a real p/c fan, and was talking several years ago about
getting everything off the as/400 and going to p/c networks.

but over the past few years, he's changed his tune.  he recognizes the
as/400 is just like the energizer bunny - always up and going.  i've
heard him say within the past year, several times, the the as/400 is the
most reliable computer he has.

he is concerned, however, about the future of the as/400, how much
longer it will be around.  i really think the as/400 would have a great
future if only the true facts would reach the people that need to hear
them.

we need to realize the as/400 does have some obstacles, and sometimes we
can be our own worst enemy in spreading the as/400 is a legacy system
perception.  and we need to work to overcome them.  and i think ibm tops
the list with the hamburger ad.  the implied message there is anything
but java is unsuitable.  i'm sure their intention was to inspire the
as/400 programming community to learn java, but you don't inspire by
insulting!

i like the perception that the as/400 is flexible, and there are
different tools for different needs.  it's a rock solid, fantastic
machine!  we should all respect our differences. and we should run with
that!

nj