  • Subject: Re: Spool File Control codes
  • From: Benjamin Budai <BENJI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:37:25 +0200
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:37:23 +0200

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Eric Merritt wrote:

> Thanks you for your input. But since I am writing some
> new custom software that will integrate into our
> existing product line I kinda need to find the
> control/Markup codes for spooled files. If a listing

Hi Eric,

I don't know what are you trying to do exactly, but I had a Y2K project
last year - we had no source, at least not the "current" and full source.
The year 00 is a reserved value for that app. We could write a new app
from scratch, but the users refused to learn a new system in 4 months.
Thus we went back to softcopy, and figured out the solution below

1. We change the 5250 data stream on the fly using virtual terminal API-s.
   All the terminal I/O flows through our VT server, which looks for date
   fields, and replaces 00 for 72 or vice versa (depending on the direction
   of the data flow).
2. We replaced the original printer files. Now what we get is a naked
   data stream that is sent to a spooled file. We copy the spooled file into
   a user space, and change the date fields from 72 to 00. We feed back this
   data into the original PRTFs, that will produce the final output.

The application "thinks" it's 1972, but it displays and prints 00 (or 2000).
We accomplished this in less than 2 months (4 people, without prior
knowledge of the APIs and data streams.) For point 2 we had to interpret
the spooled file sent to a 4224. We found a useful book on the web in PDF
form, but I'm not in office now. However I can send it's title next week,
were you interested.

> does not exist I will eventually root them out through
> trial and logical deduction it just would be much
> simpler if ibm published a listing/redbook/whitebook
> etc for this.

I think this was a technical reference for IPDS printers...

Regards,

        Benjamin Budai