  • Subject: Re: Client Access Express
  • From: Jerome Draper <jdraper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:21:31 -0700

You can turn on NetServer since you are at V4R3 and then browse the folders
for the CAE setup program and install it.  You do not need to order
anything since it's part and parcel of OS/400.  This will give you
everything in CAE except for display, printer, and file tranfer for which
you need a license.  I haven't tried it but maybe one license will work
without a license (demo?).  In any event, there are other, IMO, better,
cheaper TN5250e clients than CAE from super cheap (free) to very expensive
(IBM).  My preference is Synapse NetWolf which I recommend, sell, support,
and use.

Here's my cheat sheet (cobbled IBM web page) for turning on NetServer:

IBM NetServer: Frequently Asked Questions

Table of Contents

NetServer Questions:
?  How do I map a network drive or printer drive in TCP/IP?
?  What are the benefits of NetServer?
?  What are the differences between NetServer and File/Print Serving
functions?
NetServer Questions
How do I map a network drive or printer drive in TCP/IP?
With TCP/IP, network drives and printers are no longer supported, and you
will need to take advantage of AS/400 Support for Windows Network
Neighborhood (AS/400 NetServer). Any network drives that you previously
mapped using Client Access, will now have to be mapped using AS/400
NetServer support. Desktop PCs take advantage of the native file and print
sharing capabilities, Clients for Microsoft Networks, found in Windows 95,
98, and NT.

All network drives and printers that you have mapped and accessed
previously with shared folders will now have to be accessed using AS/400
NetServer file and print shares when using TCP/IP. A "share" is a unique
name assigned to either an AS/400 integrated file system or an AS/400
output queue that enables access to the resource from remote network users
and applications. Installing Client Access Express is not necessary to
access AS/400 NetServer file and print shares, but using Operations
Navigator is recommended for configuring AS/400 NetServer. While AS/400
NetServer and Client Access coexist on the same AS/400, AS/400 NetServer is
an altogether separate server from Client Access Express.

Steps for AS/400 NetServer Setup
   AS/400 Steps
1.      Verify that AS/400 TCP/IP is configured and operational.
2.      Verify the correct naming of your AS/400 NetServer. Look in the QSYSOPR
message queue for AS/400 NetServer initialization complete message,
CPIB680, it will contain the AS/400 NetServer server name. If it is not
correct, change it with the following command. You will need *IOSYSCFG to
change AS/400 NetServer configuration information.
3.      CALL QZLSCHSN PARM('AS400-NetServer-server-name'
4.      'AS/400-NetServer-domain-name' 'AS/400 NetServer Text Description'
x'00000000')
5.      End and restart AS/400 NetServer with the following commands:
6.      CALL QZLSENDS PARM(X'00000000')
7.      CALL QZLSSTRS PARM('0' X'00000000')

   PC Steps
1.      Verify that your PC TCP/IP is installed, configured and operational
2.      Verify that Clients for Microsoft Windows is configured on your PC. To
add and configure this Windows network component from Windows 95 or Windows
98, right-click on Network Neighborhood, then select Properties. This
component is added automatically during install of the Windows NT, no extra
steps are required. To verify that Windows NT is installed correctly,
right-click on Network Neighborhood, then select Properties, then select
the Services tab, and then the Network Access Order button. You should see
the Microsoft Windows Network and LanMan Print Services components.
3.      Verify that you can ping the AS/400 NetServer. In order to ping AS/400
you must have added an alias to your Domain Name Server, your Windows
Internet Name Service (WINS), or your local LMHOSTS file. For Windows 95,
you will find the LMHOSTS (or LMHOSTS.SAM if you have not used the file
before) in the C:\WINDOWS directory. For Windows NT, you will find the
LMHOSTS file in the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC directory. Review
instructions in the LMHOSTS.SAM file if you need help adding an entry.
Steps to Map a Drive to an AS/400 NetServer File Share
Left-click Start, then Find, then Computer, and then enter the AS/400
NetServer server name to find AS/400 NetServer in the network. Once found,
double-click the AS/400 NetServer icon to list the currently shared
resources. Right-click on the shared resource you would like to map a drive
to and select Map Network Drive. Select the drive letter you would like
when prompted and hit enter. If you want this drive reconnected at logon,
check the box to indicate this. Once configured, this drive letter will
show up under Windows Explorer and in My Computer as a network drive.
Steps to Install an AS/400 NetServer Print Share
Left-click Start, then Find, then Computer, and then enter the AS/400
NetServer server name to find AS/400 NetServer in the network. Once found,
double-click the AS/400 NetServer icon to list the currently shared
resources. Double-click on the shared resource you would like to install a
printer for and you will be presented with the Add Printer Wizard. Follow
the steps and input information when requested to install the network
printer. Once configured, you can access this printer through the steps
outlined here, or select Start, then Settings, and then Printers.

Stand-alone SNA Character Strings (SCS) and Advanced Function Printing
(AFP) printer drivers can be found under the /QCA400 integrated file system
directory. You may access this directory using the QCA400 AS/400 NetServer
file share. Find the printer driver for your client desktop type by
selecting the appropriate path. For example, to install the AFP printer
driver on a Windows NT client, you would use the following path:
/Qca400/Win32/Install/Printer/Afp/Nt. Select Have Disk during the Add
Printer Wizard in order to install these stand-alone printer drivers.
Add AS/400 NetServer File and Print Resources
To share an AS/400 integrated file system directory with the network, you
must add an AS/400 NetServer file share. Using AS/400 Operations Navigator
in the IBM Client Access Express for Windows product, the AS/400
administrator can find the Shared Object icon by following the
Network-Servers-TCP/IP-AS/400 NetServer path. Right-click on the Shared
Object icon, and select New and Printer to access the AS/400 NetServer
Print Share dialog. Enter the appropriate information needed to add the
print share and hit enter. Use the help provided for more information if
needed. You will need *IOSYSCFG to add or change print share information.
Changes take effect immediately.
What are the benefits of NetServer?
AS/400 NetServer (or SMB support) ships as part of OS/400 beginning in V4R2.
Since desktop users can now satisfy their file and print serving needs
through the AS/400 NetServer function, all the file and print serving
functions that currently exist in the other AS/400 Client Access clients
have been removed from the Express client.

AS/400 NetServer shares its Integrated File System (IFS) and AS/400 output
queues with the Microsoft Network Neighborhood so users can access these
resources as simply as they use those directly on their desktop. NetServer
brings the following additional benefits versus using built-in PC file and
print serving functions:
1.      Increased stability at startup and shutdown of the PC as many start-up
issues involved with Windows 32-bit file system
2.      No background tasks (such as cwbuitsk, cwbnpred, cwbsvd, cwbbs) which
previously used extra battery power on laptops.
3.      When using Client Access Network Drives to access IFS information or
Network Printers to use AS/400 output queues, users typically see all these
resources on the AS/400. The NetServer implementation does not show
directories or output queues unless the AS/400 administrator or the owner
of a specific resource creates a 'share' to enable viewing of the resource
-- thus providing more administrative control of what users see. (Note:
these resources do appear when using Operations Navigator.)
To use the AS/400 NetServer, only the Client for Microsoft Networks
(shipped with Microsoft 32-bit operating systems) needs to be installed on
the PC.

At 11:29 PM 6/19/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to check out the CA Express on our v4r3 box.
>I currently have the 'old' CA licensed.
>Can the Express client be downloaded from somewhere or do I need to
>request/buy it from IBM?
>
>Regards,
>Matthias
>
>--

>+---

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, UDS, Nlynx, Perle, Lucent, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com