  • Subject: RE: AS/400 Lobby
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <DBale@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:41:03 -0400

6/14 3:58pm - Janet sent her "propaganda" link
6/15 11:14am - You sent your "thanks" to Janet, in which you stated your
opinion.  (implied; this is confirmed in your response to John Carr)
6/15 2:17pm - John Carr countered you (Janet's opinion vs. yours)
6/15 4:57pm - Your post - "A discussion of why I think Janet's opinion is
wrong doesn't belong here and can be taken offline."
6/15 6:05pm - Me - "Why is it that you think you can post your opinion on
this topic but nobody else can?"

OK, so maybe you didn't START it, but you helped propogate it.  Hindsight is
a wonderful thing, but I can't help but wonder if you had just said
something like "political agendas don't belong on this list; take it
elsewhere" in your response to Janet, we'd had been done with this
discussion by noon yesterday.

Personally, I think this topic has merit on the list.  (What does Mr. Gibbs
think?)  Just so it doesn't elevate to flame wars.  Yes, this is an
international list, but guess what, this is an issue that affects everyone
globally.

Me, I'm a fence-sitter on this issue, primarily because I don't know what to
believe.  I thought Tom Stockwell's contribution was well thought out, and I
agree with his bottom-line conclusion, with which I conclude with here:

   After that, maybe we could address the issue of lobbying against
corporate
   welfare -- IT industrial organizations that use the bottom line to escape
their
   social responsibilities to the communities in which they operate.   If we
get
   that one right, we'll probably not be too concerned with how many people
of
   which nationality are in the communities where these large organizations
employ
   us.

If you wish to discuss this further, I'd be more than willing  to do so
offline.  (Although, I'm losing my Lear email account this afternoon, so
send private mail to DBaleMidrangeL@hotmail.com )

- Dan Bale